Monday, November 5, 2007

If I were in charge of the Blackhawks

If I had complete control over every aspect of the Blackhawks here are some of the things that I would do:

  • Cheaper tickets. You gotta love the $8 student tickets, but to sit in the lower bowl, it'll cost you $75. It's not like lowering tickets would make the United Center less full, and when you regularly play in front of half-empty seats, I'm sure the players wouldn't mind some more fans.
  • Put every game on TV. Sure, they've made huge strides with this so far, but that only takes us up to the middle ages. It's time to embrace the 20th century. Once again, having fans isn't a bad thing.
  • Get a veteran defensemen. The Hawks have a solid mix of youth and veterans up front, but the defense is still very young. While Bloghawk favorites Duncan "Duncs" Keith and Brent "Seabs" Seabrook do a great job, there is no real top defender to lead this group. The problem on defense is magnified even more by the presense of...
  • Nikoli Khaibulin. In an ideal world, you could just cut him and start over. However, given his fat contract, you are pretty much stuck with him. I really don't think that Patrick Lalime would do a much worse job. So perhaps the option of starting Lalime more to keep Khabi on his toes could do the trick. If not, there has to be someone willing to take a chance on the once-great goalie.
  • Keep Havlat healthy. This could by a very dynamic team with a healthy Havlat to go with the young guns Kane and Toews. He's never been able to stay healthy before, and this season is no different. The Hawks are at a point that they don't need to rely on him, but whatever it takes, they should do it. If that means voodoo then I'll start learning right now.
  • Establish tradition. Or perhaps re-establish. Going to a Hawks game doesn't really have the 'Original 6' feel. Sure, Frank the organist is fantastic, but the Ice Crew kills any sort of nostalgia one might be feeling. I don't think I've ever heard a unprovoked chant at a game other than "Detroit Sucks." The NHL isn't exactly the hottest thing right now, so I can understand the Ice Crew and their gimmicks, but you can't manufacture atmosphere, espeically in the barren United Center (although some of those Detroit games are electric. Like opening night this year.)
  • Don't let anything ever happen to Kane or Toews. They're the face of the franchise for the next decade. Market them. People will come Ray.

No comments: